Representatives of the conflicted parties in Libya have agreed a lasting ceasefire, the UN’s Libya envoy said on Tuesday.
The talks started on Monday and were expected to continue on Tuesday.
“The principle has been adopted from the first session. Now the question is what are the conditions,” Ghassan Salame told reporters in Geneva.
Five senior officers appointed by the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) and five appointed by the Libyan National Army (LNA) of strongman Khalifa Haftar are taking part in the talks.
“We started yesterday to discuss with them… an attempt to transform the truce into a more solid one, less often violated by either side,” he said.
The talks are being moderated by Salame, who last week lashed out at the foreign meddling in the conflict in the North African country.
Two sides would meet for talks on economic cooperation in Cairo on February 9 and could hold political talks on resolving the conflict in Geneva in two weeks’ time.
Libya sunk in chaos since a 2011 NATO-backed uprising that killed Moamer Kadhafi, with two rival administrations vying for power.
The conflict deepened when Haftar, who controls much of the south and east of Libya, launched an assault last April to seize Tripoli.